Sunday, November 22, 2009

31

31...What a horrible number. I tend to hate any number under 70 or over 250. For all of you Type 1 mommies, you know what I'm talking about. Avery hit 31 tonight.. the lowest he's been since we found out he had diabetes. It was scary for so many reasons but the the worst thing about it was that it happened so fast! He was running around and playing and then literally no more then 20 seconds later he was on his hands and knees and then down on his belly. I looked over at him thinking he might just be playing. He looked up at me and gave me the saddest little face. I hurried and checked him and then his eyes started rolling back into his head. My dad scooped him up and ran him to the kitchen. He was coherent and was able to drink some juice. Within about a minute he was back to normal.

Some days you get a little too used to the schedule you have with a diabetic child and then something like this happens and its like that 1st week of their diagnoses is starting all over again. I take advantage of the good days. I shouldn't. But at the same time while i hate it when these scary moments happen, its nice when its over because I know we can get through it. Avery was OK, i was OK, everything ended up being OK. Hes had diabetes for 6 months now and its still very, very new. I'm pretty sure it will still be very new for a long, long time. So until the day comes (and we all know it will) when they find a cure, we'll take the good days and be grateful and the bad days and be grateful. As hard as diabetes can be on my little man and our family, i know that things could be worse. Today was a bad day.. but its so small compared to our good ones! I know things will get better. I know things will get easier. Diabetes is journey that I never thought we would be on, but we're here and we're in it for life! I know Avery can do it and I hope i can do it ;) Its amazing to see all these other kids, families and mommies going through the same thing. We can all get through the hard days!! Thank you for all the wonderful comments! I hope i can get to know each and every one of you..

10 comments:

Kristen said...

Wendy, You and Kendal are so great! It looks like you have tons of support and I wish the best for your family, I know you are such a stronger person because of this experience. I look forward to following your journey and hopeing to help in any way I can! :)

Amy said...

((HUGS)) Wow...31 sucks...but YOU DID GREAT! And he's just fine! These days happen...you think things are fine....and then BAM! You get blindsided by some wacked out number. Part of the game we play. Hang in there...your doing great!

Rachel said...

WOW, I hate those lows!!! Tristan has a 24 onces.... it was really scary. You handled the situation beautifully.

As much as these days suck, they are also teaching us something. Like you said, the good with the bad... we do the best that we can. And this too shall past!

phonelady said...

That is so scary is it not ? wow I cannot imagine what you were going through . Thank god he is alright and he is good . see now you did good mama and you were aware of what was going on . Your quickness caught it so kuddos to you and god bless and hugs coming your way .

Jen said...

Those lows are so scary but you did great! Diabetes is always sneaking up on you..just when you think you have it under control it throws you a curveball and leaves you feeling vulnerable. I am not sure I will ever get used to that!

Joanne said...

Hi Wendy!

I found your blog through Shamae's. Yes, 31 is a scary number... The lowest Elise ever had was 38 and that was scary enough.

Looking forward to reading more about you and your family! Mind if I add you to my blog list?

Meri said...

Low's are the worst. The panic in your stomach, the racing in your head...what to do? What to feed?

Great catch! Until there is a reliable continuous glucose monitor for babies...our mommy eyes are all we can rely on.:)

You all handled it like champs!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://sunkomutors.net/][img]http://sunkomutors.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]academic pricing for software, [url=http://sunkomutors.net/]adobe acrobat 9 review[/url]
[url=http://sunkomutors.net/][/url] cheap oem software downloads educational software games
adobe photoshop cs4 keeps locking up [url=http://sunkomutors.net/]kaspersky anit virus software problems[/url] adobe acrobat 9 pro compare
[url=http://sunkomutors.net/]wall street office software[/url] autocad electrical symbols
[url=http://sunkomutors.net/]buy genuine microsoft software[/url] academic licensed software
microsoft software list [url=http://sunkomutors.net/]microsoft office home and student edition 2003 serials[/b]

AjsMommy82 said...

I can't even imagine how scary that would of been! You're so lucky to have been there to catch it! You're doing a wonderful job!

LaLa said...

Very scary - I'm so glad everything turned out ok.